Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A present from Vida to Jan






















Yesterday we attended the Project Grow presentation of resources at Nyobok. Cindy and I were given the royal treatment, and were introduced to all the dignitaries as well as the chief and the group of elder men when we arrived. We were seated as guests of honour under a canopy. We sat opposite the men, the women sat to our right, and school children massed under a tree to our left. The enclosed area in front of us was the forum for drumming and dancing, and school girls presented a play and recited poetry. At one point, a handsome donkey slipped into the ring. It wore a sign on its neck – “Darcy welcomes Jan to Ghana.” As you can imagine, I rushed out to greet him, and I gave him a big kiss on his long forehead. I wept with joy. Later I spoke to the young man who was his handler, and I thanked him for taking such good care of our Darcy. And thank you, Vida, for providing such a personal moment for me in the midst of the celebrations. From the minute I arrived, I have felt very welcomed in Ghana.

No comments: