Friday, May 27, 2011

Jan's blog

One woman and her name. Our first learning activity with the first class of adult education students was helping them to print their first name. I worked closely with one woman who had a particularly long name. I printed the letters at the top of her slate, and she copied them. By her third try, she had executed a recognizable version of her name. We then moved to pencil and notebook. She copied her name from her slate and continued to refine her technique. She was missing the tip of her right pointer finger, so using a special wings pencil I brought worked well for her (thanks, Bren). At the end of the session, she and the other students took home a pencil and their notebook. When I met up with her the next day in the village, I asked her if she had practiced her name, and I mimed the action. She gave me a big smile and opened up a plastic bag she was carrying. Inside was her notebook. I was delighted that we both felt something special had happened the day before.

Knackered by Night time. It is one thing to read about the temperature and humidity level in Ghana while still in Kelowna, and another to be outside in it. Most village activities take place under a large spreading tree – both for shade and breeze. For this Canadian visitor, after a day out around town or driving to the villages, I’m knackered by night time. By the way, as I sit typing this in my air conditioned room, I can hear drums and singing in the distance. There is another big funeral being held in Bolga this weekend, and the wake is being held tonight.

No comments: