Saturday, May 28, 2011

Adult Education ... day 2

Well, once again I have to post another entry; the second session was held today and the plan was to introduce 12 more people to the skills of writing their name. We didn't bargain on the fact that the first group decided to come back for more. So, we adapted and divided them into two groups. The university students from UDS joined us and this time, they understood the program objectives much better and they can make a real contribution in their 7 weeks at the village. The people who returned are making amazing progress, some are starting to move onto learning key vocabulary and are ready for some numbers. Next Saturday there will be another class so I think we have a successful program. Actually, after the intial welcome and informal discussion about their learning needs, Jan and I stood back and let the facilitators take over. They are Sampson and Hannah, and both have enough education and more than enough dedication to handle the task. We stepped in only when necessary, and Cynthia and Josbert will provide guidance until Vida gets there. Since the interviews informed the program, the facilitators know the objectives now and they did a great job. They are confident, and they have lots of support with the UDS students. I am sure there will be moments that challenge them, but I am also sure they are up to the task.

We finished with the usual celebratory songs and dancing, and the hugs and smiles and gestures of appreciation make the whole experience so much fun. It is such an honor to witness these changes and watch confidence bloom so quickly.

There was a sobering moment today though, and it has stuck with me. The carpenters who are building the new addition to the school have been watching the activities all week. They came over to see me as a group and asked for a bit of my time. They are from the Upper West Region ( we are located in the Upper East) and they asked me if I could please come to their villages which are equally deprived and need Project GROW. They would be honored if I would consider it. When I told them that I could not, and that this project began because a woman in the village went away, got an education and is using it to help her people, and we are working with her, they understood. It was a sobering moment and something like it that comes up at least once a day in some form or another. The need is great throughout Northern Ghana which is isolated, deprived and pretty much a different country than the south. If you are not careful, this can break you. The model of Project GROW is a good one; we are seeing its impact and are happy with it. It needs to be replicated over and over again and hopefully that will happen some day.

So, we celebrate the victories, and we do what we can. In the end, that has to be enough. It was a happy day, full of learning and laughter and neither Jan nor I will ever forget this experience. Tomorrow is market day, the purchasing of the last few items for the project and then we get ready for delivering the goods. I look forward to sharing with all of you, the excitement on Tuesday and Wednesday... Both days promise to be a big celebration and I have to go write some speeches to deliver. Busy busy, the pace has been incredible, but the results so worthwhile.

Bye for now...

On presentation day we will hand over all of the learning supplies them,

2 comments:

C. L. said...

Whoops I posted my comment on the wrong post - so I'll jump in here as well to say how moved I am by your description of the education process. I wish someone could make a movie to take the rest of us right in there. It really is an honor to intersect with a person's life in this way, and you both are inspirational in your generous desire to share your knowledge. I love the mutuality of the exchange - you make it so evident that you are learning too and the joy and dignity of the lessons shines through. i LOVE reading your blog!!

Don Hatton said...

Hi Cindy
Having been to Africa a number of times I can tell you the country and its people will capture your sole. It makes me proud to read of your adventure well done!!! I would love to share African stories with you on your return.
Don Hatton